Sunday, October 26, 2008

A Rose for Emily, Hemingway Style

Andy Vo
10/05/08
Period 2

A Rose for Emily, Hemingway Style

 Under the cool night sky of the small town of Jefferson, a father and his teenage soon sat together under the night sky. They sat together on their front porch under the luminescent light of the moon, looking out to the direction of the home of Miss Emily. Admiring the cool wind and the scent of the night dew on the leaves around them, they thought about the emptiness of the house.
 “You think she finally killed herself?” said the son.
 “What I heard, she was sick for a while.”
 “I bet she finally decided that it was best for her to die.”
 “That’s a pretty cruel thing to say.”
 “The whole town saw it coming.”
 “I don’t want to think that she wanted to kill herself.”
 They both continued to look out into the distance to Miss Emily’s house. The house once stood tall and proud in the best neighborhood of the town. The house has grown old. It looks dead compared to its younger form. The neighborhood around Miss Emily’s home was replaced with cotton gins and garages. Miss Emily’s home is the only one still standing in the lonely neighborhood. 
 “The whole town was expecting her to die.”
 “Since when?”
 “Since she bought arsenic for the ‘rats.’”
 “Maybe she did use them for the rats.”
 “It was better for her if she died. I mean, look at her.”
 “She looked decent before. She was even going to marry someone.”
 “I can’t imagine her looking pleasant.”
 “She was once.” The father got up and started pacing around the front yard.
 “Who was that person she was going to marry?”
 “Homer Barren, a construction worker.”
 “Whatever happened to that guy?”
 “I don’t know, maybe he skipped town.”
 “He might have been better off leaving her anyways.” The young man said while spreading his body out on the porch.
 “I don’t think he ever left the house.” The father said as he rubbed his face as if he was distressed. “I think she kept him there all the time, she was a very lonely person.”
 “No, I doubt that would happen.”
 “You know, I believe she is not as insane as most people think.” The father suddenly became confident. “She had pretty tough life growing up, maybe her actions wouldn’t make sense to us, but she probably has a reason.”
 “Maybe, I wasn’t around to see her when she was younger.” The young man gave gigantic yawn and rubbed his face. “It is getting late, I am going to sleep. He said as he was getting up. “sleeping soon?”
 “In just a minute, Son. Don’t think of her as bad person. She must have had a reason for being strange.”
 “Maybe, let’s rest, the funeral is tomorrow.” 
 “Yes, I know son. I hope that Miss Emily will find rest with the people that she loves; I believe she didn’t have a proper chance. Son, make sure you have a rose for Miss Emily tomorrow.”

No comments: