Sunday, October 26, 2008

Rieckhoff meta-cognition

Andy Vo
Period 2
10/13/08
Meta-cognition

How did I start the process?
- I first began by making a chart of how Rieckhoff writes. I wrote down anything that suggested his writing style next to his name. For example I noticed he was sarcastic and very emotionally open with the readers.
What stimulated my ideas?
- The first chapter gave a strong idea of what I should be writing. Rieckhoff uses a lot of adjectives, emotion, sarcasm, and goes back though his life to explain things.
Who is my audience and what is my purpose?
- My audience is to normal readers looking for a story to be entertained with. My purpose is to fully show my adventure to St. Vincent right down to my emotions.
What trouble did I have?
- I had trouble putting the same amount of back story and description as Rieckhoff did. He wrote in a very vivid way that was easy to understand by any reader. 
What road blocks did I face and how did I eliminate them?
- I had trouble knowing when to exactly place background information and descriptive passages. To get around the road blocks I needed to reread some of the passages in “Chasing Ghosts” to think about how he uses descriptions.
What is my paper’s strength?
- I felt like I had the tone of Rieckhoff’s “Chasing Ghosts.” In my paper I created a serious and somewhat sarcastic tone. I was especially proud of the “emergency water landing” quote/
What is my paper’s weakness?
- Reading back on it recently, the paper still sounds too much like my own writing style. It doesn’t exactly have Rieckhoff’s writing style in word choice
What goals do I have for future writing?
- I need to improve on my word choice. I tend to over use simple words often in my paper. I also need to concentrate on choosing the write words for each moment.

No comments: