Sunday, October 26, 2008

Lowell Poetry Festival

Andy Vo
Period 2
10/13/08
Lowell Poetry Festival

 Over all the Lowell Poetry festival was a unique experience. Over all I enjoyed going to Lowell, exploring a piece of Lowell, and enjoying a sophisticated event. It was a new experience for me to take the commuter rail, walk around Lowell and find out what life was like in Lowell, and listening to poems and songs from the authors. There were a few events during the festival that surprised me. Overall going to Lowell was a great experience.
 When first entering Lowell, I noticed the people were very relaxed and open. The people are very outgoing. I often hear them talking to each other in the streets and calling each others names. Being there also makes me feel more relaxed. The colors of the leaves, the brick buildings, and the inviting stores created a relaxed environment. Stores like “Olive that and More,” served great sandwiches with a very warm and welcoming environment in a moderate cost. Lowell’s atmosphere made it easy to see why the others liked to go and look around Lowell.
 When I entered the first building for the Lowell Poetry Festival, there was a feeling of classiness. All the people around me were well read and in to literature. The group of writers and illustrators giving their introduction of their life in literature was incredibly refined. They made references to other authors and pieces of literature. They also all talked with a high level of intelligence. While I was in the audience, I felt a little overwhelmed at what they were saying. Much of the time, I did really know what each person was referring to. However I did enjoyed the art gallery. There were some unique and beautiful pieces of art that was worth an amazing amount of money.
  During the event there were a few specific points that especially surprised me. The writers and poets used their power free speech to the fullest. Ed Sanders’s “Send George Bush to Jail,” made everyone laugh and sent a very strong message. There was a man sharing an experience of being a homosexual, and how he strongly protested against people who were against him. Ed Sander’s laughing song made some of us question if he was fully sane for being able to laugh without a hint of acting, but overall made everyone laugh. I was amazed by the use of free speech and the artistic talent shown at the festival.

No comments: